01 May 2011

Sons & Daughters of United States Colored Troops

There is a African American Civil War Memorial in Washington, DC and it was dedicated in 1999. I was there, performing with the 257th Army Band. Today I learned that my great(3) grandfather's name is on it. Second Lieutenant Spencer J. Dyer served in the 5th U.S. Colored Heavy Artillery. I didn't learn that till a few months ago and was elated to learn his name is on that memorial.
There is an organization, the Sons & Daughters of United States Colored Troops whose mission it is to honor the historical legacy of those who served in the United States Colored Troops(USCT) and to educate the public to the true role played by free blacks and slaves in the American Civil War of 1860-1865. I will join them to support that mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment